To Use the Button and Adapter
This article has been archived.
Please use for reference only.
Penn Home Infusion Team
University of Pennsylvania Health System
Last Modified: November 1, 2001
You will need the following supplies:
- 60 cc syringe
- Feeding device adaptor
The button kit comes with the following two feeding adaptor tubes:
- The harder adaptor with the 90 degree angle tip can be used for continuous feedings or intermittent feedings.
- The softer adaptor with the straight tip is used only for intermittent feedings, intermittent medication administration, or routine flushing of the button.
Most people prefer to use the adaptor with the 90 degree angle connector for feedings.
To attach the adaptor:
- Hold one wing of the button and push the feeding tube adaptor into the button. Do not push upon your abdomen; extreme pressure could force the button into your abdomen.
Removing the Button Adapter
- Fill a 60 cc syringe with 60 cc tap water. Slowly push the water into the adaptor.
- Remove syringe and adaptor.
- Replace cap on button.
- Remove the adaptor after each use.
- The syringe may be used for one week. After this time, row it away and use a new one.
Frequently Asked Questions
National Cancer Institute