Do All Carcinoid Tumors Cause Symptoms

Question

If you don't have symptoms like flushing, diarrhea or rapid heartbeat does that mean you likely do not have a carcinoid tumor?

Answer

Ginna Deitrick, CRNP, MSN, Nurse Practitioner for Interventional Radiology at Penn Medicine responds.

No, not all carcinoid tumors secrete the hormones that cause the "classic" neuroendocrine symptoms. You can still have a NET in the absence of the symptoms.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on Neuroendocrine Tumors Webchat.