"Dumping Syndrome" after Surgery

Question

Can you help me better manage "dumping syndrome?" I have had such a hard time with eating after my stomach cancer surgery. Do certain foods make it worse? Is this going to be a permanent problem?

Answer

Katrina Claghorn, Registered Dietician at Penn Medicine responds:

Dumping Syndrome is usually a temporary problem experienced after gastric surgery. The foods best tolerated are:

• high protein foods and complex carbohydrates
  • avoid simple carbohydrates such as soda, desserts, candy
  • monitor your tolerance for milk and dairy foods - milk intolerance is common but usually disappears after a couple of weeks
  • eat small frequent meals - try to eat about 300 calories every 3 hours
  • and separate fluids and foods - try to alternate drinking foods in between meals

I would also suggest you meet with a Registered Dietitian to help you develop a meal plan that addresses your GI problems while meeting your nutritional needs.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on GI Cancers webchat.

AACR: Biomarker Panel Beats CA 19-9 for ID'ing Pancreatic Cancer

May 21, 2014 - A panel of three biomarkers together with CA 19-9 is better than CA 19-9 alone for diagnosing early-stage pancreatic cancer. These findings were presented at the American Association for Cancer Research's special conference on Pancreatic Cancer: Innovations in Research and Treatment, held from May 18 to 21 in New Orleans.

Pancreatic Cancer & Family History