Radiation-Induced Facial Hair Loss

Li Liu, MD

Question
I recently received radiation therapy to my face and neck for treatment of squamous cell carcinoma of the oral tongue. I received a dose of 6000 cGy. One side effect that I have is that I have lost all growth of facial hair in the treatment area. Is this facial hair likely to grow back?  
Thank you.

Answer
Li Liu, MD, OncoLink editorial assistant, responds:

Dear D,
Thank you for your interest and question.

Radiation therapy can cause hair loss, also known as alopecia. This can occur in any area that hair normally grows (e.g. face, head, axilla S), but only in the areas being treated. Many patients find that their hair grows back again after the treatments are finished. The amount of hair that grows back will depend on how much and what kind of radiation you receive. Every individual has a different response to radiation therapy and the ability of recovery from radiation side effects is also different. In general, hair loss after a radiation dose of 6000 cGy is usually permanent. However, the skin in the irradiated region may have received a different dose than 6000 cGy, so this is difficult to predict. You should discuss this with your radiation oncologist. If your hair does grow back, you may notice that your hair has a slightly different texture or color.

Other types of cancer treatment, such as chemotherapy, also can affect how your hair grows back. The chemotherapy drugs that cause hair loss include adriamycin, carboplatin, cisplatin, cyclophosphamide (cytoxan), Dactinomycin, etoposide (VP-16), ifosfamide, taxol, and vincristine.

Studies outline new options for the standard treatment of various lymphoma types

Dec 7, 2010 - Rituximab may be a better option than watchful waiting in some lymphoma patients, and a new treatment option appears effective for relapsed or refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma, according to two studies being presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Hematology, held from Dec. 4 to 7 in Orlando, Fla. Other research being presented will highlight new options for the standard treatment of advanced asymptomatic follicular lymphoma; mantle cell lymphoma; and early, unfavorable Hodgkin's disease.

Understanding prostate cancer screening