Cervical Cancer

Ivor Benjamin, MD

Question
My mother was diagnosed with advanced cervical cancer. She has had chemotherapy and radiation therapy. We were told that her prognosis is not good. Is there anything we can do to help her?  
Sincerely,
EM

Answer
Ivor Benjamin, MD, Former co-Editor-in-Chief of OncoLink, responds:

I am sorry to learn of your mother's illness. One of the important things that you can do is to be sure that you are receiving accurate information from your healthcare providers. Physicians that are specially trained in the diagnosis and treatment of all types of cervical cancer are Gynecologic Oncologists. The Gynecologic Cancer Foundation is a non-profit organization, which maintains a referral guide to help you find a Gynecologic Oncologist in your area.

It may be prudent at this point in your mom's illness to consider a second opinion from a Gynecologic Oncologist.

Thank you for your interest in OncoLink. Best of luck to you and your mom.

Multiple Strategies Are More Efficient for Cervical Cancer

Apr 1, 2013 - Multiple cervical cancer screening strategies that maximize early detection of high-grade disease without excessive increases in initial testing appear to be most effective, according to a study published in the March issue of the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology.