Hysterectomy to treat cervical dysplasia

Christina S. Chu, MD

Question

I have been treated for dysplasia twice in 2 years. I had to have a cone biopsy and LEEP (loop electrocautery excision procedure). How many times should I be treated for dysplasia before a hysterectomy is an option.  

Answer

The decision to have a hysterectomy to treat cervical dysplasia needs to be individualized to each patient and depends on several different factors including the type of dysplasia, the desire for future childbearing, the amount of cervix that remains after two prior biopsies, your general health, etc. This is a question that is best addressed with your personal physician.

Hysterectomy Linked to Better Cervical Cancer Survival

Oct 24, 2014 - Radical hysterectomy may provide better survival outcomes compared with radiation in women with early-stage cervical cancer whose tumors are less than 6 cm in diameter, according to a study in the November issue of the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology.