Sarcoma of the Cervix

Question

I am 19 years-old and been diagnosed with alveolar soft part sarcoma of the cervix. They tell me I need to have my uterus removed, but recently they said if it has spread and that they might not be able to operate. How rare is my cancer?

Answer

This is a rare kind of cancer that has occasionally been seen in the cervix. If the tumor seems confined to the cervix, radical hysterectomy may be appropriate. Otherwise, chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy may be needed. The final decision will be made by your physician(s) based on the stage of your cancer.

Cervical Procedure May Double Risk of Preterm Birth

Apr 20, 2014 - Women who undergo loop electrosurgical excision of the cervix, a procedure widely used for the treatment of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia, face a doubled risk of spontaneous singleton preterm delivery, according to a study published in the July issue of the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology.