PSA After Prostatectomy

Question

I had a radical prostatectomy in September 2006. Why would I have anything but a 0.0 PSA at this time? It's very low (PSA=0.08) but I'm not clear as to why ANY exists without a prostate.

Answer

David I. Lee, MD, Chief of the Division of Urology at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, responds:

We aim for a serum PSA that is <0.1 ng/mL. We do not panic when a PSA is still detectable after prostatectomy. There can be benign prostate cells in the pelvis. However, a PSA that steadily climbs into the 0.2 ng/mL range and higher warrants a careful evaluation for the presence of recurrent disease. The adrenal gland can also make a very small amount of PSA.

PSA Change After 5α Reductase Therapy Aids Cancer Diagnosis

Aug 13, 2012 - The magnitude of change in serum prostate specific antigen (PSA) after 5α-reductase inhibitor therapy may help diagnose prostate cancer in men with persistently increased serum PSA and previously negative biopsies, according to a study published in the September issue of The Journal of Urology.

The Public Face of Prostate Cancer