Support Groups for Lung Cancer

Question

There are so many support groups for women with breast cancer, but I am a woman with lung cancer. A generic support group just doesn't get it- I feel like they don't understand the way other people make you feel since I was a smoker (many years ago!). Are there groups for lung cancer?

Answer

Christina Bach, MSW, LCSW, OSW-C, Oncology Social Worker at Penn Medicine, responds:

There are groups for lung cancer patients and their caregivers, but as you said they are not as prevelant as they are for other diagnosis. You can start by contacting the American Cancer Society (800 ACS 2345) as they maintain a national database of groups and support services. There are also online support groups offered through Cancer Care and The Cancer Support Community. You can also connect with a "phone buddy," a trained volunteer survivor who you can link up with on the phone and talk one on one. This program is offered through the Lung Cancer Alliance.

Donna Lee Lista, Lung cancer survivor, advocate and blogger, adds:

There are a few other organizations that you might want to look into; there is Lung Cancer Partnership, which also has some individual state chapters. You can find them at nationallungcancerpartnership.org

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Focus on Lung Cancer transcript.

Genetic alterations differ between the two groups of lung cancer patients

Nov 10, 2010 - Nonsmokers with lung cancer have different genetic alterations than patients who have ever smoked, and new findings provide evidence that lung tumors in nonsmokers are due to distinct genetic mechanisms, according to research presented at the American Association for Cancer Research's Frontiers in Cancer Prevention Research Conference, held from Nov. 7 to 10 in Philadelphia.

What is Photodynamic Therapy and how is it used in cancer care?