Cancer Symptoms in Cats

Question

Do cats have different symptoms of cancer than dogs?

Erika Krick, VMD, DACVIM Veterinary Medical Oncologist, University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Answer

Cats sometimes act more ill compared to dogs, but overall the common signs of cancer are similar between the 2 species. Cats are more likely to have intestinal tumors, so they are more likely to have weight loss, vomiting, and poor appetite related to cancer.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from When a Beloved Pet has Cancer.

Study finds symptoms would likely diagnose one in 100 of the general population

Feb 5, 2010 - Despite a recent consensus statement encouraging use of certain symptoms in the diagnosis of ovarian cancer, symptoms such as abdominal pain or urinary urgency are poor predictors of the disease, particularly early-stage disease, according to a study published online Jan. 28 in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.