Can Irritable Bowel Syndrome lead to Colon Cancer?

Dr. Timothy Hoops

Question
I am 33-year-old female diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome about 10 years ago. Can my condition lead to colon cancer?

Answer
Dr. Timothy Hoops, Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Gastroenterology Division at the University of Pennsylvania and Director of Gastroenterology at Penn Medicine at Radnor, responds:

While some of the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) may also be symptoms suggesting the presence of a cancer (e.g a change in bowel habits, constipation, etc.), there is no known relationship between this condition and colon cancer. However, should a cancer develop in a patient with IBS it would very likely be caught early since colonoscopies are often performed to make sure that other problems aren't the cause of the symptoms.

Study Finds Stent, Laparoscopy Superior to Open Surgery

Sep 2, 2014 - Instead of performing emergency open surgery on a colon cancer patient with an obstructing tumor, placement of a metal stent can open a bowel pathway until the tumor is removed via less invasive laparoscopy, according to a study in the December issue of the Archives of Surgery.