Penile implant

Alan J. Wein, MD

Question

I had a radical prostatectomy and orchiectomy four and one half years ago. I have tried every thing on the market for erectile dysfunction and it has not worked. We have talked to my oncologist about an implant. She showed us the two-piece, and we have seen a three piece. Is there any hope of getting a very important part of our lives back? Any advice you could give us would be very much appreciated. Thank you and God Bless in trying to help people in this situation.  

Answer

Alan J. Wein, MD, Professor and chair of the Division of Urology at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and Chief of Urology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

There is definite hope to return sexual relations back to your life. It sounds as though a penile implant may be a good option for you. As far as the type of implant, this would depend on your preference and the urologist's familiarity with each type. It would be best to visit a urologist who has done this procedure very frequently. When you visit the doctor, do not be bashful. Get all your questions answered. Make sure to ask how many of the implant procedures he/she has done and the varying success rates with each.

Changes in Penile Length After Radical Prostatectomy Studied

Dec 17, 2012 - Although penile shortening of about 1 cm can occur at three months after a radical prostatectomy for the treatment of localized prostate cancer, recovery of penile length begins after 24 months and is complete after 48 months, according to a study published in the December issue of Urology.

Understanding prostate cancer screening