Budget chemotherapy for mast cell tumor in dogs

Question

I foster rescued dogs for a small shelter here in Manhattan. 3 yrs ago, an elderly neighbor adopted a wonderful lab mix male thru me, which has just been diagnosed with mast cell cancer (III). She's quite impoverished and I'm trying to help her with the treatment of her sweet dog. I've had the tumor removed at the humane society, but cant afford to take him to an oncologist. If I could find out the term or name of the oral chemotherapy (I believe once-monthly pill), the surgeon at the Humane Society would research further & help my neighbor financially with the treatment. Could you please advise any knowledge of oral chemotherapy for mast cell III in canines? I understand & agree that I am not absolutely asking you to SUGGEST treatment in anyway.  

Answer

Lili Duda, VMD, Section Editor of the OncoLink Veterinary Oncology Menu, responds:

Probably the best affordable option is a combination of prednisone and lomustine (CCNU). Prednisone is given daily, and lomustine is given every 3-4 weeks. CBCs do need to be monitored routinely. We would also add in an H2 blocker (eg. Pepcid /Tagamet) and an H1 blocker (antihistamine such as Chlortrimeton or Benadryl).