Average response to Femara

Question

How long does the drug "Femara" last? What is the next drug of choice after that? I was on Tamoxifen for 18 months and I have been on Femara for 15 months with very good results. 

Answer

Kevin R. Fox, MD, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

The average response to Femara is about a year. In my experience, it can last much longer in some patients. Fifteen months is a very good response and encouraging. You seem to be doing well and it would be standard to stay on your current treatment regimen. If this treatment stopped working, the next most common options could be Aromasin or Faslodex. Also, there are always clinical trials available evaluating new treatment regimens. You may want to consider visiting the OncoLink/Emergingmed Clinical Trials section to see what is available.