Treatment for Stage IV Prostate cancer

Question

I have been diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer. Is it better to start total androgen ablation right away or first just leuitinizing hormone? 

Answer

David J Vaughn, MD, Medical Director of the Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute and Associate Professor of Medicine, Hematology-Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

In general, most believe that total androgen blockade such as luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH) agonist plus anti-androgren therapy or orchiectomy plus anti-androgen therapy is not significantly superior to LHRH agonist monotherapy or orchiectomy monotherapy. A recent meta-analysis suggests about a 2-3% improvement in survival for total androgen blockade. One needs to balance this against the cost and toxicity of the anti-androgen, which are not negligible. The only caveat is that prior to initiating LHRH agonist therapy a period of anti-androgen blockade prevents a flare in symptoms.

Stage III/IV Melanoma Patients at Risk for New Primaries

Dec 10, 2013 - Patients with stage III or IV melanoma who have not received treatment with BRAF inhibitors remain at risk for developing new primary melanomas, although the incidence rates are lower than those observed in studies of dabrafenib and vemurafenib, according to research published online Dec. 2 in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.

The Controversy of Screening