Can trauma to the chest cause breast cancer?

Question

I was in a serious car accident in January of 2004. I had massive trauma to my chest, so much that it collapsed my lung on the right side. Now I have lumps in both my breasts. On the right side the lump is about the size of a plum and on the left side it is about the size of a marble. Does trauma like this to the breast cause breast cancer or can it cause breast cancer? I only have one aunt with breast cancer. Am I at risk?

Answer

Julia Draznin Maltzman, MD, Attending Physician at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, responds:

There are no objective data that show trauma causes breast cancer. However, it is not unusual for people to notice lumps and bumps after a trauma because they are more aware of the area and pay more attention to that area of their body. Trauma can clearly cause benign lesions that can persist for some time. However, any new breast lumps should be brought to your physicians attention without delay.

Breast Cancer Outcome Can Be Affected by Social Support

Oct 20, 2014 - Breast cancer patients who are socially isolated may be more likely to have tumor growth as a result of the stress caused by loneliness, compared to their more socially supported counterparts, according to a study in mice published online Sept. 29 in Cancer Prevention Research.

Benefits of yoga during cancer treatment