Tamoxifen for weakly positive Estrogen and Progesterone breast cancers

Question

I am a 31-year old ER negative and "weakly" PR positive breast cancer patient. I have had a mastectomy with no lymph node involvement and chemotherapy and now deciding whether to go on Tamoxifen. Does your practice recommend Tamoxifen for "weakly" PR positive patients?

Answer

Julia Draznin Maltzman, MD, Attending Physician at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, responds:

As a general rule, we do routinely recommend hormone therapy to women whose tumors are weakly positive Estrogen (ER) and Progesterone (PR). However, each case must be discussed and analyzed individually. The thought is that hormone therapy such as Tamoxifen is very easy to take, well tolerated, and has few side effects, that the potential for help is greater than the potential for harm. However, this remains a personal decision and you should have a careful and thoughtful discussion with your oncologist.

Other variant appears to be related to recurrence of progesterone receptor-positive disease

Dec 14, 2010 - A polymorphic variant in human histone deacetylase 9 (HDAC9) appears to be associated with an earlier onset of estrogen receptor breast cancer, while another variant may be associated with recurrence of progesterone receptor-positive disease, according to a study presented at the annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, held from Dec. 8 to 12.