Sex during Cervical Cancer Treatment

Question

Is it safe to have sex while on treatment for cervical cancer?

Answer

If you have completed treatment for cervical cancer, it is usually safe to have intercourse. Patients who have been recently diagnosed, or who are currently undergoing radiation therapy, may wish to abstain because of vaginal bleeding or discomfort. Any patient who has recently undergone surgery for cervical cancer should abstain from intercourse for about 4 to 6 weeks after surgery to allow for the surgical site to heal. Please consult your physician and ask when it is safe to resume intercourse based upon your specific situation.

Study Urges More Clinical Research on Gynecologic Testing

Jul 29, 2014 - While professional guidelines call for human papillomavirus testing in the follow-up of treatment for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia, there is insufficient clinical research to guide the clinician in the selection of the test to use, according to a report in the April issue of the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology.