Herceptin Weekly or Every Three Weeks

Question

I was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer, and am now receiving Taxotere, Cytoxan, and Herceptin every 3 weeks. Is there any benefit to doing Herceptin weekly? I've been given the option of weekly or every 3 weeks for the year I'll be taking it.

Answer

Kevin R. Fox, MD, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

At the present time, we do not have clear evidence on what the "optimal" delivery schedule is for Herceptin, if any, as it is a relatively new drug compared to standard chemotherapy drugs that are employed in breast cancer . Future Herceptin studies may shed light on this and other issues, but for now the consensus is that either schedule is acceptable. We generally favor every three weeks rather than weekly for the sake of patient convenience.

ASCO: Fewer Side Effects With Weekly Paclitaxel in Breast CA

Jun 4, 2013 - For women with breast cancer, low-dose weekly paclitaxel is as effective as the standard-dose regimen given every two weeks, with fewer side effects; and axillary radiotherapy may be better than axillary lymph node dissection in the case of positive sentinel lymph node biopsy, according to two studies presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, held from May 31 to June 4 in Chicago.

3D Mammography: What is it?