Chemoebolization for Liver Cancer

Question

My husband is getting "chemoembolization" for liver cancer. Why does he have to have this procedure rather than getting actual chemotherapy? What are the risks involved in this procedure?

Answer

Bruce Giantonio, MD, Medical Oncologist at Penn Medicine, responds:

That is a good question. One of the remarkable things about chemoembolization is that it works much better at shrinking the tumor than when we give chemotherapy more systemically (or intravenously).

You can learn more from the radiology society on their website.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on GI Cancers webchat.