Finding Support for Kids During Cancer Treatment

Question

How can I help my kids deal with their dad's illness? Some say to keep things as normal as you can, but I feel nothing is "normal" anymore.

Answer

Christina Bach, Oncology Social Worker at Penn Medicine responds:

I know it is really hard to maintain normalcy after a cancer diagnosis---especially with your children. I talk to my patients a great deal about recognizing and understanding the concept of a "new normal--" i.e. what life WITH cancer (and treatment and uncertainty and anxiety) may look like.

Its important to help your children express their emotions about what is happening with their dad; but also to allow them to continue to be children.

You can get great resources about kids coping with cancer:

It also may be very helpful to connect with other patients with kids who are going through similar issues.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on Pancreatic Cancer Webchat.

AACR: Biomarker Panel Beats CA 19-9 for ID'ing Pancreatic Cancer

May 21, 2014 - A panel of three biomarkers together with CA 19-9 is better than CA 19-9 alone for diagnosing early-stage pancreatic cancer. These findings were presented at the American Association for Cancer Research's special conference on Pancreatic Cancer: Innovations in Research and Treatment, held from May 18 to 21 in New Orleans.

Pancreatic Cancer & Family History