What To Say To Family Members With Cancer?

Question

If a member of my family has pancreatic cancer, what should I do? I feel so worthless. I want to help, but don't know what to do or say. Please help.

Answer

Ursina Teitelbaum, MD, Medical Oncologist at Penn Medicine responds:

The question regarding a family or friend with cancer is a very important one as well and I really appreciate the question about how to best suppor them. I think offering a ride or a meal are always welcome. I am always impressed with the friends and family that spend time in our chemotherapy suites and radiation oncology waiting rooms.

Just being there is more important than saying the right thing and patients appreciate it.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on Pancreatic Cancer Webchat.

Prevalence of Familial Pancreatic Cancer About 9 Percent

Oct 17, 2014 - The prevalence of familial pancreatic cancer (FPC) is about 9 percent, and patients with FPC have more precursor lesions and are less likely to smoke than patients with sporadic pancreatic cancer, according to a study published online Oct. 14 in Cancer.

Pancreatic Cancer & Family History