Making a Survivorship Care Plan

Question

Now that I completed chemotherapy for my cancer, I am nervous to not have as much contact with my oncology team. What should I know about being a "survivor" and what to look for that would be concerning?

Answer

Carolyn Vachani, RN, MSN, AOCN OncoLink Nurse Educator responds:

It is not uncommon to have feelings of uncertainty when you transition to the survivor role. Those frequent oncology visits may feel like a safety net and give you extra comfort. Know the team is always there for you! Then take the next step to survivorship by creating a survivorship care plan that talks more specifically about the psychological concerns, healthy living after cancer and health risks related to cancer treatment. You can create your own care plan at: www.livestrongcareplan.org.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on GI Cancers webchat.