Effects on the Tongue after Surgery

Question

Since my surgery, I feel like my tongue gets in the way of me speaking. Can you help me with this?

Answer

Patricia Dooley, Associate Director of the Division of Speech Language Pathology at Penn Medicine, responds:

I would suggest an evaluation by a speech pathologist to determine the reason why your speech is affected. Oral exercises and speech strategies can be provided.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Head and Neck Cancer Q&A Webchat transcript.

Most Head, Neck Surgeons Discuss Risk Factors, HPV

Sep 2, 2013 - Most head and neck surgeons discuss risk factors for head and neck cancer, including human papillomavirus, with their patients, according to a study published online Aug. 29 in JAMA Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery.

The rewards of working in radiation oncology