Cancer Risk With Actinic Keratosis

Question

I have been told I have some spots on my skin called"actinic keratosis." Does this mean I will get skin cancer?

Answer

Rachel Woods, RN, Nurse for the Surgical Dermatology Program at Penn Medicine responds:

If you have an AK, you are at risk for developing squamous cell cancer. AKs are precancerous and can be treated easily but it is a warning to keep vigilant about your skin checks

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Sun Safety Webchat transcript.

Social Norms Influence Lifeguards' Safe Sun Habits

Jul 29, 2014 - Workplace safe sun policies and participation in skin cancer prevention programs both help improve the sun protection habits of lifeguards and aquatic instructors, but social norms exert the greatest influence, researchers report in the February issue of the Archives of Dermatology.