Skin Cancer Diagnosis & Treatment

Question

How is skin cancer diagnosed and treated? Will I need to see a dermatologist or a cancer doctor?

Answer

Rachel Woods, RN, Nurse for the Surgical Dermatology Program at Penn Medicine responds:

Skin cancer is definitively diagnosed through a biopsy. Treatment differs with the type and severity of the cancer. See your dermatologist and he or she will refer you to an oncologist if it is necessary.
Learn more about skin cancer.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Sun Safety Webchat transcript.

What is Photodynamic Therapy and how is it used in cancer care?