Role of the Nurse Navigator in Cancer Treatment

Question

My cancer center has a nurse navigator. What can she do to help me get through treatment (stage III Non small cell lung cancer)?

Answer

Linda Miller, RN, BSN, Oncology Nurse Navigator at Penn Medicine responds:

Each center functions a little differently in how their nurse navigator functions in relationship to the thoracic team. In general, a nurse navigator can help to connect a patient with the appropriate team members and facilitate appointments to help coordinate care. A navigator is very useful in connecting patients to appropriate resources as well as providing an additional layer of support to the patient and family while undergoing diagnosis, staging and treatment.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on Lung Cancer Webchat.

Caring for people with advanced lung cancer