Mutation to Guide Treatment in Lung Cancer

Question

The surgeon who did my biopsy said they will look for "mutation" and my treatment will depend on the result. What does this mean?

Answer

Linda Miller, RN, BSN, Oncology Nurse Navigator at Penn Medicine responds:

Your physician is referring to the different molecular markers that your specific tumor may contain. Determining those "mutations" allow your physician to develop a more individualized treatment plan based on your specific tumor. This allows for the use of possible "targeted therapies".

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on Lung Cancer Webchat.

What is Photodynamic Therapy and how is it used in cancer care?